Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso longs for home and refuses close door on Real Madrid move

By Sportsmail Reporter
Last updated at 3:30 PM on 29th June 2009

Xabi Alonso insists a move to Real Madrid is not impossible, despite Liverpool's determination to hold on to the midfielder.

Bernabeu president Florentino Perez has made no secret of his admiration for the Spain international.

And though Anfield boss Rafa Benitez insists the 27-year-old is not for sale, Alonso said: 'I don't close any door in that area, so we'll see what happens.'

In an interview with Spain's Don Balon magazine: 'Last year I was close to joining Juventus. I do not have a defined career plan.

'It's always good that several clubs want you, it's better than nobody wanting you, but I can't do too much about it.

'I know that I have to do my work well and, in the future, I'll decide what I have to decide.'

Asked if his would be an 'impossible marriage' to Real Madrid, he insisted: 'No, it does not have to be so impossible.'
Xabi Alonso

Spanish fly: Xabi Alonso lines up against South Africa

Alonso is said to have been disappointed last summer that Liverpool were prepared to sell him to fund a move for England midfielder Gareth Barry, then at Aston Villa.

And the former Real Sociedad player's description of his relationship with Benitez hardly gives the impression of warmth.

'My relationship with Benitez is professional, like he has with any other player,' he said.

Alonso believes Liverpool have improved significantly since he came to England in 2004 and he believes they are closing the gap on Manchester United and Chelsea.

'In my opinion, the team has progressed, but in the end we did not win any titles, so we cannot be happy or satisfied,' he said.

'No doubt that in the Premier League, we were closer than in other seasons, and in the Champions League we got to the quarter-finals. But what everyone wants is to win titles.'

Though he insists he is settled in Merseyside, Alonso admits to occasionally suffering homesickness.

I've already been in England five years and the truth is that I have adapted well,' he said. 'I'm happy there, though from the beginning I have longed for certain things, and I continue to do so.'

Reports in Spain suggest Alonso will speak with Benitez this week to try to resolve his future. Madrid had hoped to sign him for £20million while Benitez has tried to price him out of the market by asking for £50m.

0 comments:

Post a Comment